PRUNING AND TRAINING OF BAY LEAF
- Pruning and training depends on whether you have trained the bay as a topiary or are simply growing it as a shrub in the ground.
- Topiary-trained bay are trimmed with secateurs during summer to encourage a dense habit and to maintain a balanced shape. Prune new shoots to a bud facing in the direction of the desired growth
- Shrubs can be trimmed into shape by simply cutting back to a lower leaf or bud in spring or summer. See shrubs and trees: light pruning for more advice
- Remove any leaf tips damaged by winter weather by lightly pruning in late spring
- Mature bay trees can tolerate hard pruning, but are slow to recover and re-grow. This would be best carried out over two or three seasons in late spring
TURKISH BAY LEAF